How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a departed relative or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than getting rid of.
There are lots of people suffering from loss of hearing who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and a number of institutions out there that collect and distribute those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the total population, around 14% have some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have loss of hearing 91% percent are above 50 years old
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of individuals over 70 who require hearing aids have ever had them
I think we should be worried. Because health issues like mental decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been linked to untreated loss of hearing. The importance of your hearing to your overall health is backed up by new research coming out regularly. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health problems (and in certain instances even reverse them).
And the last compelling fact is that loss of hearing can cost the ordinary family $12,000 in earnings every year. But hearing aids can actually decrease that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may just not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a big effect on their financial stability, quality of life, and overall health. It could also cost a child the ability to go to college and better their lives because they are unable to hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or you can just give us a call.